The Mindful Teacher - Level 1
** This 5 week course starts Fri 4 October 2019 **
This 5 week beginner level program, is designed specifically for teachers/ educators, however it would also be useful for any adult who works or interacts in settings with children. The course includes a balance of learning about mindfulness and practical applications to use everyday in the class or when working with children.. so you can...
'Find peace in the classroom, and free yourself from teacher stress and anxiety!'
As a school leader, I have seen first hand how excellent teachers who really care about their students and the job they do, get burnt out and stressed by the demands of this profession...
I have seen brilliant teachers doubting their ability, being overwhelmed by challenging students or feeling personally affronted by tricky parents, and not having the tools to know how to take control and manage these situations any differently.
I also know, before I learnt mindfulness practices, this use to be me too...
Mindfulness is a powerful practice to manage emotions, reduce anxiety and improve overall feelings of wellbeing. Mindfulness can be used to become more aware of our responses, create calm & space to be fully present in the role of educator.
I believe that the development of wellbeing skills for educators is as important as the wellbeing skills we teach our students. I felt so passionate about this focus, that I quit my school leadership role and am now offering a series of mindfulness courses specifically for educators that address the issues that teachers face everyday in their lives and in their classrooms.
After many many requests... our popular Mindful Teacher Program has been released as a 5 week Online Program that can be completed at your own pace and schedule. You also get lifetime access to all the resources, videos and online content.
Here is what you will learn about and practice each week...
Week 1: An introduction to mindfulness in education
- Our ruminating teachers’s mind
- How mindfulness changes the brain
- Identifying our challenges in teaching
- Guided practices: Feel your feet & breathe
Week 2: Getting out of auto-pilot
- Automaticity in the brain
- Engaging the senses
- Living & teaching on auto-pilot
- Guided practices: Savouring & Being present in the class
Week 3: The body-mind connection
- Our visceral system
- Tuning into our body/ emotions
- Managing difficult situations in the classroom
- Guided practices: Body scan & Sound
Week 4: Mindful Movement
- Body-mind connection in movement
- Power of mindsets & positive education
- Gratitude: The heart of teaching
- Guided practices: Movement & Gratitude Walk
Week 5: Our storytelling mind
- Noticing our thoughts in the classroom
- Thoughts are just thoughts
- Cultivating compassion for our students & self
- Guided practices: Observing thoughts
Course participants will receive :
- notification of new weekly course content availability, delivered via email link
- practical applications of the skills within a class or educational setting
- pdf downloads to support the weekly lessons
- opportunity to connect online with other participants
- support from the course facilitator
- lifetime access to the online resources
- lesson videos that can be completed in one sitting or slowly over the week
- All the course materials which can be completed at your own pace and schedule.
Group sizes for each course will be limited to enable participants to receive weekly online support if required.
"Mindfulness practices provide educators with explicit tools & strategies for improving self awareness, emotional resilience, compassion, concentration, self-regulation, positive mind-sets and overall feelings of wellbeing"
Jan Carey is the founder and facilitator of The Mindful Classroom. She has completed international mindfulness certification training in:
- Mindfulness .b Program, UK
- Mindful Schools Program, New York
- MBCT Training
Jan is a highly skilled teacher and leader with over 30 years teaching experience. She has worked in primary and secondary schools in metropolitan and rural locations, and has held various school leadership roles, including primary school principal for the past 9 years. She is an engaging and well informed presenter, who truly understands the complexity and challenges of the educational role. She has now helped over 2,000 educators with mindfulness techniques through workshops, courses and whole school programs.
To see more about the Mindful Classroom programs, staff training courses, events and retreats... go to www.themindfulclassroom.com.au
You can contact Jan at [email protected]
Testimonials from our Mindful Teacher Program participants
"I have recommend this course to other staff - and feel all teachers in the school should do this course"
"Even just after our session today I feel a better sense of calm at home with the family and feel more at ease with my thought process towards work next week and beyond."
"I am a primary school counsellor who has worked with children and families from disadvantaged backgrounds for over 20 years and found not only new skills whilst doing the course, but had many 'ah ha' moments along the way."
"Love that I can and have used these mindful moments in both work and home life"
"I have had a tough start to the year and am so grateful for this experience"